Sunday, September 09, 2007

Farm Bureau Talent Find at the County Fair August 9, 2007

Kaitlyn did a dance to "The Song of the Heart" from Happy Feet. She did some cart wheels and hand stands and was very brave to dance in front of all those people after only practicing the dance for one day. Yes, I know we should have been more prepared. I will admit that I had just not mentioned the Talent find to my kids this year, because I didn't want to have to come up with something for them to do. Choreographing a dance is not one of my talents! Well the day before the talent find I think Kaitlyn overheard me talking on the phone to my mom about it. Kaitlyn then told me that she REALLY wanted to dance in the Talent Find this year. So, we pulled out the video tape of her dance recital, and found the dance she liked best. Then we downloaded the song from the Internet and started practicing. Kaitlyn remembered some of the dance, but she really just liked to improvise and ad in her own moves. Anyway at that point I figured it was best to give her a little direction, but mostly just let her do what she felt comfortable doing. She did great, except we had decided that I would stand back by the music guy and tell him when to stop the music. She wanted to end with two cartwheels and then down into the splits. Well, being up on stage and everything made her forget how it ended, so she didn't do the cartwheels and I didn't tell the guy to stop the music until finally it was obvious she was done.
Kyle decided he wanted to be in the Talent Find too. This shocked me, but I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and help him prepare something. Luckily He already had the song memorized because he did it for his music class talent show. He sang Tim McGraw's "Fly Away." He sang out and didn't miss a word. I thought it would be good to stop the song before the very end when it keeps repeating and then Tim's girls sing. Kyle said he thought it would sound funny if we stopped it before the end, so he sang and sang till the bitter end.

Rachel was the one I knew probably wanted to be in the Talent Find all along. She had been practicing Hannah Montana's "Best of both worlds for some time, and she knew the words really well. When we got to the Talent Find Rachel saw on the list that there was another little girl singing the exact same song, and she was to perform before Rachel. This made Rachel very sad, but I told her she could just sing it better than the other little girl. And she did!
Well they each ended up winning $5.00 for participating and they each felt good about their performance, so I guess it was worth it. I don't know why I don't have good feeling about the Talent Find. My kids love being in it, so what's my problem. I guess I just need to plan ahead and get some help from some talented people to help us come up with some great performances. Who do they get their performance gene from. I hate to perform in front of people and I don't think they got it from their dad. Spencer Gibbons, who went to school with Garrick and now works for Farm Bureau, was telling us how shocked he was to see Kyle up their singing. He said, "I knew Garrick since kindergarten and I didn't know he could talk until we were in 6th grade."

After the Talent Find we went to our Ward's booth and the girl's got their faces painted. WE also went to the Rodeo.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: