Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands

OK I am recommending a book to all wives. Kimbur and Minnie Hall spoke at our ward enrichment about "not just surviving, but thriving in your marriage." Minnie mentioned this book. The next day my neighbor Joyce brought me her copy of "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands" by Dr. Laura Schlessinger. I was wondering if she was feeling sorry for Garrick and thought she would help him out by letting me read it, but when I read the book I understood that there are things we can all do better to make our marriages stronger. One thing I noticed throughout the book was her emphasis on the different role of men and women. Several times she uses the words preside, provide, protect to describe the role of a husband and father. She also explains that it is in a woman's nature to nurture and care for their husbands and children. Has she read the family proclamation?! She uses real-life examples of callers and people who e-mailed her when she asked for suggestions for this book. It is interesting to get the men's perspective. I do not agree with everything in this book, but I agree with the emphasis she puts on doing whatever it takes to take care of our men and appreciate what they do for us. If we are too tired or too busy, then we really ought to re-prioritize. I loved this book, and I would highly recommend it to all wives.

1 comment:

Katie and Eric said...

I have heard good things about this book. A woman in our ward even did it for our ward book review enrichment last year. I need to get a copy. Thanks for reminding me.