Sunday, December 16, 2007

Rachel's Talk Sunday December 3, 2007

On the Sunday after we went to The Forgotten Carols Rachel gave this talk in Primary.

FIrst I'm going to read the words to a song called "If I Had Been in Bethlehem"
If I had been in Bethlehem the night of Jesus' birth
And herd afar the angels' joyful song of peace on earth,
If I had seen the shepherds come to seek the Baby fair,
I think I would have followed them and knelt beside them there.

If I had lived in eastern lands and watched with eager eyes,
If I had seen His star appear and blaze among the skies,
If I had seen the wise men go seek the newborn King
I think I would have followed them, my finest gifts to bring.

I did not live in Bethlehem that Christmas night of old
Or travel with the wise men there to bring him gifts of gold,
But I can bring a greater gift than any earthly gem,
For all my heart and all my love will be my gift to Him.

Sometimes at Christmas time when we do the Nativity, I think it would have been really cool to have been there and herd the angels sing and see baby Jesus. But, even though I wasn't there, I can still know that it really happened.
This past week I had the opportunity to watch the Forgotten Carols by Micheal McLean. THere was a song that he wrote that was about a shepherd who slept throught the angels singing and missed going to see the baby Jesus. WHen he woke up his friends told him a story that didn't seem possible, but the song says, "Somehow I did believe them, though I'd not seen a thing. But there was something magic in the air, that made me feel as if I had been there."
Even though none of us were there we can still know that it really did happen. The magic in the air is actually the Holy Ghost. I know that "the King of Kings, and Lorg of Lords was here and he will come again."

1 comment:

Mrs. Mike said...

It's fun to see your kids growing up, Holly! I don't think I'll be getting Christmas cards out this year, but I wanted to say Merry Christmas anyway!