Sunday, February 03, 2008

Our Love for President Hinkley

Well, it has been a week now since I learned that President Hinkley had passed away. CeCille called from Hawaii and said they had been in the visitor's center when they heard the news. When I hung up the phone and told my family that President HInkey had died, I felt so sad, and I was crying. Rachel said, "Mom, its OK. It's just part of the plan." I know Rachel, but I will still miss him. I have spent a lot of time throughout his past week thinking about why we loved him so much. I was up late Sunday evening with Trevor, so I watched the documentary by Carol Makita. Then on Monday, the KSL Radio dedicated the entire day as a tribute to President Hinkley. I listened as people called into the radio to share thoughts, feelings, and personal stories. Saturday, of course we watched the TV before, after, and during the funeral. Then today, I have been sick and didn't go to church or to Anthony's and CeCille's house with the rest of my family. So, I have been watching more tributes to this great man. I just can't get enough. I love to learn more about him. I love to hear him speak. I love to watch his example. I just don't want it to end. To watch him and listen to him, helps me feel better about myself and the world. He was such an optimist, and that was contagious.

He became the Prophet when I was a senior in highschool, and Garrick was in the mission field. Our entire "adult" lives, he has been our prophet. One very special experience I had was at Brandt's reception. President Hinkley was walking down the hall, and we were in a room off of that hall. He looked in there and waved and smiled to us. Wow, the feeling I had, is one I will never forget. I felt so strongly that he was our prophet, and I must have also felt his love. I remember that Rachel was giving her first talk in primary as a Sunbeam that next Sunday. She memorized a talk about President Hinkley and about her mom getting to see him and the feeling her mom had when he waved to her. I have had that same feeling many times since then when I have seen him in person at conference, and even when I have seen him on the TV. The spirit always confirms to me that he is the prophet and that he loves me.

Well, those are just a few of my thoughts about this extraordinary man. I asked my children to tell me some of their thoughts about Ppesident Hinkley:

Rachel said: I liked his sense of humor. It seemed like in every talk he gave, he made me laugh. In Hong Kong he told the people that when he first came there 30 years ago, he thought their language sounded like chicken talk. Everyone laughed.

I loved his love for the Book of Mormon, and how he challenged us to read it by the end of the year. That was the first time I remember reading it all the way through with my family.

Last conference, his talk was about Joseph Smith and how he translated the Book of Mormon and how this church has grown since then. I loved how he said that musicians can play or sing a song over and over, but a speaker is expected to come up with something new everytime he speaks.

We will miss him, but I am glad he can be with his wife, becasue he missed her so much.

Kaitlyn said: I like how much energy he had. Elder Tingy told a story about waiting in the elevator for President Hinkley at the chuch office building and when President Hinlkey got there he said, "You go ahead, I'll take the stairs."

I feel like President Hinlkey loved me and everybody and his family and Jesus.

Hannah said: You are the bestest prophet. I love you 'cause you are so nice. I loved your funeral. You are the best.

2 comments:

CeCille Hall said...

Holly, I love your picture of the farm at the beginning and also your comments about Pres. Hinckley's death. I always love to read your blogs!!!
Love, CeCille

Katie and Eric said...

Holly, thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was all very sweet and I feel the same way! I also love the picture of your dairy. Did you take that?